Photobucket


Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Easy Egg & Sausage Casserole

I hate mornings. I really do. And I've never understood the so-called "morning people". I press snooze a minimum of 3 times before I actually drag myself out of bed for work. Needless to say, on most mornings I'm rushing out the door with my hair barely done and finishing up my make-up at red lights. I've clearly got my life together as you can see.

Well, this breakfast casserole recipe is perfect for any anti-morning peeps like myself. Most of the work can be done the night before. Actually, pretty much all of the work can be done the night before. Basically all you have to do is pop it in the oven and let it bake.


Once cooked and cooled, you can divide single serving portions into Tupperware dishes to take to work with you and heat up. I also think this would be a great recipe if you have any overnight guests staying with you like the in-laws. They'll never know it was actually made the night before and instead they'll think you slaved away all morning. Sneaky.

Ingredients:
3/4 pound ground pork sausage (I use reduced fat Jimmy Dean . It tastes the same but has 50 percent less fat.)1 tablespoon butter or margarine
4 green onions, chopped
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
10 eggs, beaten
1 (16 ounce) container low-fat cottage cheese
1 pound Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chile pepper

Directions - The Night Before:
1. Brown sausage in large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain, and set aside.
2. Melt butter in same skillet. Then cook and stir the green onions and mushrooms until tender.
3. In a large bowl, mix the eggs, cottage cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, and chiles. Stir in the sausage, green onions, and mushrooms. Cover, and refrigerate overnight. (I just mix everything in a large Tupperware bowl w/ a lid.)The Next Morning:
4. Preheat oven to 350.
5. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish and then pour your refrigerated mixture into the prepared baking dish.
6. Bake 40 to 50 minutes, or until lightly brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Enjoy!

{image via & recipe adapted via}
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I will never understand "morning people" either! But I could make an exception for that casserole. Delish-looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's deellish! I had it yesterday and today and I'll have it again tomorrow! Plus, it's protein-packed so it keeps me sustained all morning. Let me know what you think if you try it.

    ReplyDelete